Sunday, December 22, 2013

The tale of two curry houses...

There are many things that I wanted to write about in the post exam period, a.k.a 'Christmas time!'. Alas, they can wait. I always try to give constructive criticism about restaurants and food experiences, but sometimes standards are so poor that I cannot help but warn you so that you do not waste your time, money or positive energy on certain products or establishments.

This weekend I had two restaurant based disappointments. Firstly, Sultan's Palace in Liverpool City Centre let me and a lovely group of healthcare professionals down. Dirty floors. Dirty glasses. Bubbling lassi (classic sweet/spiced Indian yoghurt based drink).Waiting almost 4 hours for a 2 course meal. Waiting staff stretching their whole bodies across the table to ensure we got the right curries. Such movements should be saved for Pilates and Yoga. There were few smiles and minimal concern about our dining experience. Plus, to top it off, the food in my opinion was rather mediocre. 5/10.

The second disappointment of the weekend was Cafe Sekander on Allerton Road, South Liverpool. In this establishment I saw something I had never seen before in a restaurant. A chef staggered down the stairs in flip flops into the kitchen(which didn't look ready for service whatsoever).He was followed by another member of staff who had a toothbrush topped with toothpaste behind his back on his way to the kitchen. THIS WAS NOT A GOOD LOOK. The expression on my Dad's face was absolutely priceless. Needless to say we did not partake in the devouring of curry there this weekend.

I don't like to sound too brutal, but I have been to both these restaurants before and had totally different experiences and tasty food in clean and cheery atmospheres. I have worked in an award winning curry house before and I can relate to some of the challenges that serving staff and chefs may face, but the service I experienced this weekend was inexcusable. First things first, brush your teeth at home!

If you fancy a curry in Liverpool this week, give these two places a miss. You could cook up a lovely one for family and friends for a fraction of the price.Plus I'm sure you would smile heartily at whoever eats you curried goodness and not stretch all over them without their consent. Failing that, you could place an order at Kebabish Original on Lodge Lane... I have a lot more to say about them. They won't be letting you down anytime soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment